Monday, July 23, 2012

FAQ - How much technology to take

First, a confession - I am a technology junkie ;-)

You can see from here we went to Kokoda well equipped.

There are a couple of reasons for this.
1) I already owned the equipment as part of being a keen hiker, trial bike rider and private pilot
2) As I was going on a DIY trek, I wanted to ensure I was able to navigate myself at any time during the trek, for any reason.

For example, I pre-loaded my Garmin GPS with a track map.

People ask do they need all of this equipment; for example, do you need an epirb if you already have a gps and satellite phone ?

Most of the professional guides on the track carried a gps (quite a few carried the same model as mine) and satellite phone, This seems to be the optimum combination as the satellite phone had reception at most spots along the track; for example at the tops of peaks and in clear areas. The epirb is overkill.

No comments:

Post a Comment